Lately, my skin has become used to my normal make up products and I have been having MAJOR make up issues as nothing sits on my face smoothly and flawlessly. Particularly around my nose, it separates and looks dry no matter what I use. These Instagram models drive me crazy with their perfect finish make up and flawless complexion so I knew I had to do something about it.As usual, I went shopping after uni with my best friend as Oxford Circus was calling our name. Initially, I intended to hunt down the Hourglass Cosmetics as I had heard so much about them – but unfortunately for my skin, the foundations didn’t live up to expectations, similarly with Nars.
After hours of trying every makeup brand on in the department stores, and having endless discussions with makeup artists, this is what I found best suited my skin and what I ended up going home with;
- Nivea Express Hydration Primer, £2.50 from boots; It is unbelievably hydrating with a water weight consistency. It absorbs into the skin quickly and it smooths out the skin prepping it for makeup, whilst ensuring moisture all day long.
- Bobbi Brown, Moisture Rich Foundation, £32.50 in Sand; This happened by chance as the employee’s skin caught my eye as it was absolutely flawless, radiant and dewy, I instantly knew that I had to try it and it didn’t take much convincing to know that it was the one. I was matched perfectly to colour Sand.
- Bobbi Brown, Intensive Skin Serum Corrector & Concealer in Light Bisque & Warm Ivory, £28.00; I was so impressed by the foundation, I knew their concealer wouldn’t be far behind. The bane of my life is dark circles, I constantly look tired no matter how much sleep I get, or how much water I drink. These two products used together do cover up the circles, but after my first use (today), I found that they didn’t dry which meant I had creases under my eyes. This could be down to practice of how I apply it.
- Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder £29.00; This was my next purchase as I have heard so many great things and I needed something to lightly hold my concealer in place all day and also target any shine on my face. It looks natural, its lightweight, it doesn’t cake and it really does fix your makeup for longer. It’s a translucent colour so its suitable for everyone …..P.S. I am forever pronouncing Laura Mercier the way it’s spelt rather than the French pronunciation – so I apologise if that annoys anyone in my video (woops).
- Laura Mercier Matte Radiance Baked Powder £27.00; gives me the natural looking bronze look all over my face, that I want all year around. It gives me colour and life with or without a makeup base. I love that its matte because I think shimmery bronzer is a bit too much when you want to use the colour all over.
- Laura Mercier Second Skin Cheek Colour in Spiced Cider £21.50; filled with warm, strong pigments to give that romantic, flirtatious look. This blusher is classic and classy.
- Benefit They’re Real Mascara £19.50; this is the only product that I have tried and purchased previously. I have ended up with it yet again as it really does give the most luscious lashes.
- Mac Mineralise Skin Hydrating Mist, £18.00; this is exactly what my dry skin needs, prior to makeup application and after. It’s refreshing and hydrating on bare skin, and its packed with all the minerals your skin needs. After make up, it fixes your look in place and holds it all day, whilst giving you that throughout the day wake up call.
My best advice is to keep searching! Make sure every employee paints for your face until you’ve found the perfect products and don’t feel under pressure to purchase if you aren’t 100% sure. Be sure to take an honest friend with you and always look in natural day light to make sure the colours are right.
- Highlighter: MAC Soft and Gentle Mineralize Skinfinish
- Cheek Contour: Anastasia Beverly Hills Powder Contour Kit.
- Eyebrows: Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade
- Eyeshadows: NYX Professional Makeup Dream Catcher Shadow Palette – dusk til dawn and MAC Velux Pearlfusion Shadow: Copperluxe. I also have two other MAC colours on from a small two set palette and lastly, the MAC Eyeshadow Pro Palette Refill pan in Frosted Off White.
- Eyeliner: Charlotte Tilbury Feline Flick Eyeliner and Rimmel London Soft Kohl Eyeliner Pencil in White.
- Lips: Laura Mercier Lip Liner in Redwood and Mac Lipglass in Spice.